Skip to: Education, Employment, Honors,
Name: Abhay Vasant Ashtekar
- Ph. D. (Physics)
University of Chicago, 1974
- Doctor Rerum Naturalium Honoris Causa
Friedrich-Schiller Universitaet, Jena, Germany, 2005
Universite de la Mediterranee, Aix-Marseille, France, 2010
Professeur (Chaire de Gravitation)
Universite de Paris VI,
(Appointed February '83, resigned October '85)
Professor of Physics
Distinguished Professor of Physics
Erastus Franklin Holden Professor of Physics
Eberly Professor of Physics and Director, Institute for Gravitation and the Cosmos
Penn State University
- First Gravity prize in the annual international competition, awarded by the Gravity Research Foundation, Massachusetts, 1977.
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow, 1981-1985.
- Chancellor's Citation for Academic Excellence, Syracuse University 1987.
- Elected to the Governing Council of the International Society for General Relativity and Gravitation, 1989-1998.
- Rufus Putnam Distinguished Visiting Professor, Ohio University, October 1989.
- Senior Visiting Fellow. British Science and Engineering Research Council, Spring 1991.
- Distinguished Lectures, Institute for Fundamental Theory, University of Florida, Spring 1992.
- Wasserstrom Award for Graduate Teaching and Advising, 1992.
- Distinguished Lectures, Center for Theoretical Physics, University of Maryland, February 1994.
- 1995 Andrejewski Lectures on Mathematical Physics, Federal Republic of Germany.
- Elected Honorary Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, 1996.
- Golden Jubilee Visiting Professor, Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, India, August 1997.
- Distinguished Lecture Series; Mexican Academy of Science, Mexico-US Foundation for Science and UAM, Mexico City, September 1997.
- Elected Fellow, American Physical Society, 1997.
- Elected Foreign Fellow, The National Academy of Sciences, India 1997.
- Chair, Topical Group in Gravitation, of the American Physical Society, 1998.
- Elected President, American Chapter of the Indian Physics Association (2000-2002).
- Profile featured in The New York Times Scientists at Work, edited by L. Chang, Foreword by Stephen Jay Gould (McGraw Hill, New York, 2000).
- Invited Lecture in the symposium "Les Quanta": un Siecle apres Planck" celebrating 100th anniversary of the publication of Planck's paper on black body radiation, at the French Academie des Sciences, Paris 2000.
- The Centennial Saha Memorial Lecture, Kolkotta, India 2000.
- Wiegand Lectures, St. Johns College, Santa Fe 2001.
- Academy Public Lecture, Indian Academy of Science, 2002, 2004.
- Awarded the senior Forschungspreis by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation 2004.
- Sir C.V. Raman Chair of the Indian Academy of Sciences (2004-2005).
- The S. N. Bose Memorial Lecture, Kolkatta, India 2005.
- The Krammers Chair of Theoretical Physics, University of Utrecht, Spring 2006.
- Awarded Distinguished Scholar Prize by the American Chapter of Indian Association of Physics, 2007.
- Elected President, International Society for General Relativity and Gravitation, 2007-2010.
- Elected Fellow, American Association for Advancement of Science, 2008.
- Lewiner Distinguished Lecture Series, Technion, Israel 2009.
- Doctor Rerum Naturalium Honoris Causa, Universite de la Mediterranee, Aix-Marseille, France 2010.
- Ireland Distinguished Lectures, University of New Brunswick, Canada, 2010.
- International conference held at Madrid, Spain to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the
publication of the New Variables paper that launched loop quantum gravity. Celebration
also at the headquarters of BBVA Foundation and Fundacion Pons Palace, 2011.
- Interdisciplinary, Plenary Lecture at the 39th International Conference of the Committee on
Space Research (COSPAR) held at Mysore, India, 2012.
- The Elston Memorial Public Lecture at the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Daytona Beach,
- Invited to assume a Distinguished Research Chair, Perimeter Institute, Canada, 2014-17.
- Silver Jubilee Lecture, Inter-University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune, India, 2014.
- Plenary Public Lecture, 102nd Indian Science Congress, Mumbai, India, 2015.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Gastwissenenschaftler (Guest Scholar), at the Max Planck Institut für Physik und Astrophysik, München, Germany, May-June 1976; July-August 1978; June 1979; August 1986; January-February 1991.
- Visiting Scientist, Raman Research Institute, Bangalore, India, December 1973; August 1979.
- Visiting Professor, Mathematics Department, University of Poona, India; December 1984.
- Organizer of and Principal Investigator for proposals to Syracuse University and the NSF for the Syracuse Discussion Conference on Classical and Quantum Gravity; April 17-20, 1985.
- Coordinator of a six-month workshop on Quantum gravity at the National Science Foundation Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara; January-June 1986.
- National Board of Higher Mathematics Visiting Professor, Universities and Research Institutes in India, December 1986-January 1987.
- Member, Editorial Board, Classical and Quantum Gravity, 1988-1991.
- Member, National Science Foundation Oversight Review Panel, 1988.
- Visiting Professor, Inter University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Poona, India, 1988-present.
- Member, National Science Foundation Panel (Physics Division) for selection of Young Presidential Investigators, Dec. 1989.
- Treasurer for North America, International Society for General Relativity and Gravitation (1990-present).
- Member, Basilis Xanthopoulos International Award Committee 1991-93, Chair 93-98.
- Consultant on Science and Technology for UNDP (United Nations Development Program). December 1991.
- Managing Editor for General Relativity and Quantum Gravity, International Journal of Modern Physics-D, Feb.
- Member, Advisory Committee for the Creation of the Potsdam Institute of Gravitational Physics, appointed by the Max Planck Society of Germany, 1993-1996.
- Member, Committee of Visitors of the National Science Foundation, 1994.
- Scientific Director of the Workshop on Mathematical Problems of Nonperturbative Quantum Gravity held at the Erwin Schroedinger International Institute for Mathematical Science held in Vienna, Austria on July - August 1996, June 1997.
- Chair, the NSF "Special Emphasis Panel on Gravitational Physics," 1996-97.
- Member, National Research Council Committee on Gravitational Physics (to prepare the decennial report), 1997-1998.
- Chief Editor (for physics), Advances in Mathematical and Theoretical Physics, 1997- .
- Co-organizer, Program on "Classical and Quantum Physics of Strong Gravitational Fields," Institute of Theoretical Physics, Santa Barbara, January-June 1999.
- Member, Advisory Board, Xanthopoulos International Prize in Gravitation and Cosmology (2000-present).
- Member, Editorial Board Physical Review D (2000-2003).
- Chair, Executive Committee of the NSF Physics Frontier Center for Gravitational Wave Physics (2001-2005).
- Overseas Advisor for the 5 Year British Research Assessment Exercise for all UK Programs in Applied Mathematics (2001).
- Member, the First Einstein Prize Committee of the American Physical Society (2002).
- Member, Editorial Board of the International Journal of Geometric Methods in Modern Physics (2004).
- Member, Scientific Advisory Council of the Inter University Center of Astronomy and Astrophysics
of the University Giants Commission, Government of India (2004-present).
- Scientific Organizer, 1 month sub-program on Quantum Gravity, Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge (2005).
- Scientific Director, A. K. Raychaudhuri Workshop on Cosmology, held at IUCAA, Pune, India (2005).
- Visiting Professor, Beijing Normal University, China (2007-2012).
- Chair, International Advisory Committee, IndIGO and LIGO-India (2010 onwards).
- Editor-in-Chief, General Relativity and Gravitation, published by Springer: The official
journal of the International Society for General Relativity and Gravitation (2012-2017).
- Editor-in-Chief for the Einstein Centenary Volume, to be published under the auspices of the International
Society on General Relativity and Gravitation to celebrate the upcoming 100th anniversary of the discovery of
general relativity (2012-2015).
- Co-editor of "Handbook of Space-time" to be published by Springer (a ~50 chapter project) (2012-2013).
- Editor-in-Chief of a series of monographs in the series "100 Years of General Relativity" (World Scientific).